A Roman classic. The kids approved, we’ll cook it again
- 350g Spaghetti or Bucatini
- 800g San Marzano tomatoes (2 tins), put in bowl and break down with hand
- 400g Pancetta
- 1 tsp dried chilli or 1 fresh red chilli
- Olive Oil
- 50ml of white wine
- 200g Pecorino Romano, fined grated
- Basil leaves, chopped, torn or chiffonade
Cook pasta to more than al dente in salted boiling water. Reserve some pasta water.
While pasta is cooking, in a saute pain, fry the pancetta in some olive oil in a medium heat for a few minutes until it starts to brown and a fond forms in pan. Add the chilli and cook for a minute. Add some white wine and deglaze. Then add the tomatoes and stir in. Slowly add half the Pecorino stirring well, avoiding clumping. Add basil. Serve in warm bowls, sprinkle with Pecorino.