The kids like this but still don’t like the idea of fish sauce.
- 1.5 kg mixed breast and chicken thighs. Buy the thighs deboned if you can, otherwise debone.
- 1 tbsp chicken stock cube, crumbled
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4-cm piece ginger, fine chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, fine chopped
- 1 large shallot, fine chopped
- 2-½ tbsp fish sauce
- 200 ml water
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander /green onions
Cut the chicken breast open like a book. Then cut into 2 cm square flat pieces. Cut the thighs in four. Mix in marinade, cover with film and place in fridge for an hour, or longer if you have time.
Place 2 tsp sugar in the wok, and let it brown and caramelise. Then add the chicken on a high heat for 2 mins. Then reduce heat, turn, and fry the chicken until caramelised and browned, turning every minute for about 4 or 5 mins. Remove chicken from the wok.
Add a little oil to the wok and on a high heat, add the aromatics. Fry for a minute. Then add the chicken. Then add the fish sauce and cook a little. Add a 200 ml water to blend all the flavours. Reduce heat to low, place a lid on wok and cook for 20 mins till the liquid reduces and thickens to sticky coating on chicken.
Garnish with coriander and chopped green onions.
Serve with Jasmine rice and some pickled vegetables.