Beef in Guinness
- 1 kg chuck beef, cut into biggish 3cm cubes, flour with salt and pepper
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp english mustard powder
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tblsp worcestershire sauce
- a bouquet garni
- 500 ml guinness
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
Brown the meat in a pan with some olive oil. Do in batches and remove to pot.
After the meat is browned, use the same pan to fry the onions. Deglaze the pan with come Guinness.
Add the onions, carrots, the Guinness and juices from the pan, the sugar, the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, tomatoes and bouquet garni to the pot.
Simmer over a low heat for approximately 3 hours or until the meat is tender. Don’t stir too much or meat will break up.
Taste and add salt and pepper if required. Garnish with chopped parsley when serving.