Chilli Con Carne
You’ll need a big pot to cook this big batch. Feeds 15.
- 2.5kg Chuck shavings or cubes
- 10 medium onions, chopped
- 15 garlic cloves, peeled and ﬁnely chopped
- 5 tsp hot chilli powder
- 10 tsp ground cumin
- 10 tsp ground coriander
- 10 tbsp plain ﬂour
- 300ml red wine or extra stock
- 500ml beef stock, made with 1 beef stock cube
- 4 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 4 x 400g can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 tbsp tomato purée
- 5 tsp caster sugar
- 5 tsp dried oregano
- 5 bay leaf
- ﬂaked sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
In batches, brown the meat in a pan.
In the large pot, sweat the onions. Add garlic. Cook until golden. Add the meat and stir in the onion and garlic.
Add chilli, cumin, coriander. Cook for a few minutes. Add the flour. Cook some more.
Add the wine and the stock, stir in and bring to a simmer. Add the tomatoes, puree, sugar, oregano, bay leaf. Bring to a simmer.
Put pot in bottom of Aga overnight.
Add Kidney beans.
Season with salt and pepper.